Keto Italian Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms
I first made these mushrooms when I was having stomach trouble and just couldn’t stand the thought of digesting meat. Now, trust me, this is not a usual position for me as I do love a good piece of meat.
But these stuffed mushrooms are delicious and filling, without feeling heavy or hard to digest.
They’re a great meat-free meal to add to your repertoire and can be served with vegetables or just a lovely tossed salad.
The combination of creamy cheeses and tangy goat’s cheese is perfect against the classic combination of spinach and garlic.
I would think that you could easily adapt the filling to suit your tastes, keeping within keto guidelines of course. Give them a try and see what you think.
Hands-on: 15 minutes Overall: 30 minutes
Nutritional values (per serving, 2 mushrooms)
|of which Saturated||23.3||grams|
|Magnesium||70||mg (17% RDA)|
|Potassium||988||mg (49% EMR)|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (8%), protein (20%), fat (72%)
Ingredients (makes 4 servings)
- 8 Portobello mushrooms, stems and gills removed, stems retained (672 g/ 1.5 lb)
- 2 tbsp of butter, melted (30 ml)
- 1 cup cream cheese (240 g/ 8.5 oz)
- ¼ cup ricotta (60 g/ 2.1 oz)
- 100 g goat’s cheese (3.5 oz)
- ½ cup Parmesan, grated (45 g/ 1.6 oz)
- ½ tsp minced garlic
- 1 package (10 oz) of frozen spinach, drained and squeezed (280 g)
- ½ small red onion, finely chopped (30 g/ 1.1 oz)
- ¼ cup grated cheddar cheese (28 g/ 1 oz)
- 2 tbsp red bell pepper, diced (19 g/ 0.7 oz)
- ⅛ tsp dried Italian herbs
Note: Instead of frozen spinach, you can use 1 bunch of fresh spinach or 1 bunch of fresh kale.
- Preheat the oven to 180 C/ 355 F. Pat mushroom caps very dry with a paper towel.
- Brush melted butter all over the mushroom caps and place on a lined baking tray.
- Finely chop the red onion and spinach or kale and mix in a bowl with the cream cheese, ricotta, goat’s cheese, parmesan and garlic. Mix together well.
- Spoon into the mushroom caps. Really fill the caps, the mixture won’t run away so you can put a good pile of it in there.
- Top with just a sprinkle of cheddar cheese and the diced red pepper.
- Bake for 20 minutes until brown and bubbly. Serve with a sprinkle of fresh herbs of your choice. If you have any leftover filling, use it to stuff chicken breasts…yum!
Powered by WPeMatico